The snow crab fishing grounds in the South of the Gulf of St. Lawrence are divided into areas:
- Area 12 –New Brunswick, Gaspésie, Magdalen Islands
- Area 18 – Coastal Nova Scotia
- Area 19 – Coastal Nova Scotia
- Areas 25 and 26 – Coastal Prince Edward Island
- Area 12E – New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island
- Area 12F – Magdalen Island and Nova Scotia
APPCA fishermen hold snow crab fishing licences for area 12. Since 1997, areas 25 and 26 have been integrated into area 12. In 2003, it was area 18’s turn to be merged with area 12.